Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Serves 4 to 6
2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
½ cup bacon, diced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons paprika
2 dozen mussels, cleaned and beards removed
Cayenne pepper, for garnish
Handful fresh oregano, chopped, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the bacon.
Once the bacon fat begins to render, 2 minutes, add the garlic and onion.
Cook, stirring, until they are translucent.
- Add the wine and stir in the paprika.
- Add the mussels. Increase the heat to high, and cook for about 30 seconds,
or until the alcohol has evaporated.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and steam for 5 to 8 minutes,
until all the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, and