Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Serves 8
2 pounds (907 g) catfish fillets, about 4 ounces (113 g) each
2 (12-ounce / 340-g) beers, lager or ale preferred
Oil, for frying
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup fine saltine cracker crumbs
- In a large bowl combine catfish fillets and beer. Refrigerate 1 hour, then
drain well and pat the fillets dry.
- In a 6- or 8-quart deep Dutch oven add 3-inch oil, making sure there is at
least a 3-inch air gap at the top of the pot. Heat oil to 350ºF (180ºC).
- In a large zip-top bag combine flour, salt, and pepper. Seal the bag and
shake to mix. In a shallow dish combine eggs, buttermilk, and hot sauce.
Whisk to combine. Finally, in a second large zip-top bag combine cornmeal
and cracker crumbs. Seal and shake to combine.
- Working in batches, add a few fillets to flour and toss to coat. Remove from
flour and tap off any excess. Dip fillets into egg mixture, allowing any
excess to drip off. Finally, add fillets to cornmeal mixture and toss to coat.
Transfer coated fillets to a wire rack to hold.
- Fry fillets 2 to 3 at a time until they are golden brown on both sides, about 3
minutes per side. While first batch is frying, heat oven to 175ºF (79ºC).
Transfer cooked fillets to a wire rack over a sheet pan and place in warm
oven to hold while you fry remaining fillets. Serve hot.