Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour | Serves 4 to 6
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 to 2 onions (about ¾ pound / 340 g), diced
1 shallot, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
1 carrot, diced
1½ tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon saffron
1 teaspoon minced basil or 1 fresh basil leaf
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (28-ounce / 794-g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups clam juice
1 (8-ounce / 227-g) jar fresh oysters, juice reserved
1 pound (454 g) whitefish (cod, halibut, or trout), cut into bite-size pieces
2½ pounds (1.1 kg) seafood mix (shrimp, clams, mussels, lobsters, scallops, crab
meat, or squid)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion,
shallot, celery, and carrot, and sauté until lightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, saffron, basil, minced parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix
- Add the tomatoes, clam juice, and juice from the jar of oysters. Bring the pot
to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the oysters, whitefish, and seafood mix. Bring the pot back to a boil.
Skim off any scum or fat. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley.