Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Serves 4 to 6
2 pounds (907 g) grouper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
6 shallots, skinned and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 ounces (113 g) butter, cut into small chunks
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- Remove the fine membrane covering the grouper. Remove the central bone
(if the fish is not already deboned), and cut the fish into 1½-inch-thick
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the fennel, celery,
and shallots, and cook until they begin to soften. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Brown the fish in the oil and transfer to a plate. Return the vegetables to the
pot, then lay the fish on top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the Dutch oven and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Transfer the
vegetables to a serving platter, and cover to keep warm. Cover the Dutch
oven, and cook the fish for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Transfer the fish to the serving platter with the vegetables.
- Place the Dutch oven back over the heat. Return the liquid to a boil, and stir
in the butter. Add the dill and cook, stirring until thickened. Season with salt
and pepper, and pour the butter sauce over the fish.